Friday, January 26, 2018

New York Trip: Achieving Dreams

When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too
-Memory, CATS

I cannot describe to you the anticipation I felt when I directed my Mother and I towards the Neil Simon Theatre. We enjoyed New York during this time, the crowds weren't too bad in certain spots, and the sun was shining, even though it was cold. The theatre was a couple of blocks away from the Church, but I thought it would never come. I was afraid we'd get lost and not find the Neil Simon, or that we should've taken an Uber to get to our destination. But at the same time, I was relaxed. I even paused to take a photo of some jockey statues (#DerbyCity) and chatted with Mom. Usually when we go to see a show I am stressed, because I want to be there on time, and I'm anxious for the lights to dim to signal the beginning of the show.

Finally, I saw the vertical sign, black with white letters. I only saw "N" and "mon" from a distance, but luckily I'm good with words and letters. We were there. We'd arrived, on Broadway. When I was a kid I thought Broadway was a single theatre, and the shows battled to perform there. And though this isn't the biggest theatre, I was still impressed with it, and so proud of this damn musical for reviving itself.

There was a line, and a man at the front of it telling the crowd doors would open thirty minutes before the show. Mom and I were surprised, we had planned to get here so early so we could find our seats, maybe get something to drink and check out the merchandising stand. Instead, we collected our tickets from will call, and I pictured the announcement boards so I could cross reference it with my playbill. This is just the beginning of my insane picture taking spree. I took pictures of the signs, with Mom in front of the signs, and of anything else of importance.

We hopped in line behind three sisters, who were play bickering and enjoying each other. They were friendly, and we chatted with them, asking where they were from and all those polite questions. Luckily, we didn't have to wait for long for the line to move. I knew that time would pass slowly with this much anticipation inside me, but every time I looked at my clock it seemed that time was jumping forward.

The theatre was packed when we got inside, people were directed upstairs and through doors, trying to get to their seats. Mom and I were walked to our seats, and I took the aisle. It was an intimate theatre, and the set creeped into the sides of the front few rows. The seats filled quickly and Mom went to the bathroom. A man with glasses and a high voice asked adults if they wanted a glass of wine in a CATS wine cup. He praised two girls who sat a little ahead of me, because they had on cat makeup, teased hair, and thin cat ears. I felt like those fans were over-doing it, as I enjoy CATS very privately. I rarely watch it with other people even in the same house as me, and I spent time quietly exploring it on the internet. I spent a lot of time being open about my love for CATS, such as when I was in 8th grade and had a binder covered in pictures from CATS, but I was constantly embarrassed by it, even though I loved the pictures so much. The man with the wine passed me up, as I sat alone and look like I'm about 17. But, when Mom came back I went downstairs to the bar to get a cup.

The man was there, refilling his tray, so I asked to get a glass from him. It was pinot grigio, one of my favorite wines. At our seats again I took pictures of my ticket and playbill, and read through as many bios as I could, and even studied the cast pictures to familiarize myself with them. A couple sat behind us, and the woman was extremely excited for the show, but her partner seemed to be completely new to this show. They kept talking about how she just spent 300$ at the merchandise stand, a feat I was impressed by, but again I thought she was an over-the-top fan. This couple also constantly made noises during the show, and the man said the slow songs made him want to go to sleep. I wanted to tell him to get out, no one disrespects "Memory" or any other tiny detail about CATS. The only song I adamantly hate is "Growltiger's last stand" and that is because it's not in the movie, but is on the original soundtrack and in the touring shows. Every time that song comes on I get angry, it's so dumb and the Pekes are better. ANYWAYS!

I made a list of almost 100 things I want to always remember about the show, but I won't share that here, as it's mostly nonsense that only I understand.

I will share that the show was amazing from start to finish. I love the movie so much, but the show held it's own. It kept key dance moves that made me cry, and reinvented other parts to take the show to a whole new level. The music was even adjusted a little, and I loved every single change made. Sometimes I am sad that the cast I saw wasn't recorded, as I'd love to hear the small changes in drums and additions of other instruments. Every dancer was perfect, executing impossible flips and giving their all throughout the physically grueling musical. Several dance breaks were added, and they're another part of the show I miss. I never really cared for Jennyanydots until she blew me away with a phenomenal tap solo, and Mistofolees made me love him more with his dance breaks and the way he played with the set lights. I'm telling you all, this show was flawless and every performer should be given an award for their hard work and dedication.

As soon as the lights went down, the overture began, and cat eyes lit up I couldn't keep a neutral face. I was fighting tears, causing Mom to lean over and ask how I was. I told her I was fine, just couldn't stop crying. So, she offered me a tissue. I clutched that tissue, hoping my make up wasn't running when I cried during even the happiest of songs. I still remember the taste of smooth pinot grigio, trying not to cry, and thinking about getting a second glass. My eyes roamed the stage, trying to take in every detail, answer any questions, and keep an eye out for my favorite characters. This made me fall in love with characters I'd hardly ever noticed.

With the movie the camera decides who you get to see, and when you get to see them. But, with the live show I got to see Tumblebrutus and Pouncival do handstands onto the stage, and the cats in the background make each other laugh through their antics. To show just how much the individual character was honored, during "The Naming of Cats" when a character name was mentioned, the cat would do a move to signify who it was. Electra did a small, kitten-like jump, Demeter was shy as others looked towards her, and Bombalurina did her own proud stance. So, yeah, it was inevitable that I would grow fond of more than just Sillabub and a few others. I re-fell in love with all of them.

I also truly appreciate costuming, as they kept the costumes classy and not like the puffy and layered tour costumes. I have a lot of problems with the tours I've seen, mostly the costumes and freaking Growltiger. I've seen a touring company 3 times, each time I have enjoyed the show, but none can match the Broadway production, or the movie.

I will have to admit here, that I am sometimes torn when I watch the DVD. They are both excellent, in their own regards, but the show did some really amazing things I wish the movie had taken on. Things like the extra dance breaks, specifically Mistofolees dance. I've always loved Jacob Brent's performance in the movie, but all the late 90s tech they used is nothing compared to the giant silk blanket that covered the stage, the way Mistofolees played with light sources, and even appeared to toss a little spot of light from finger to finger and to the other cats. The finale of Mistofolees, after he's returned Old Dueteronomy (I'm sorry if y'all don't follow) will forever remain in my memory. He steps up to center stage, a single spot light on him, as he carefully compresses it into a smaller, and smaller ball, then gracefully blows it out, as if a candle. Definitley one of the best parts of the stage production.

Before the first act had ended, maybe even before the opening had ended, I realized I had an opportunity to see this show again. This wasn't the first and last time I could see CATS. Though, it eventually did just become a memory, it could be lived again at the evening performance. Just a few more hours to postpone the memory, and live in the moment. When intermission came, I was on my phone looking up ticket availability for the 8PM show. We watched as people went on stage to take pictures with Old Dueteronomy and explore some of the set, I wanted to go up, but the line was growing, and I doubted I'd be able to get up. But, I had the second show to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment